Red Romaine and Arugula Salad with Baby Turnips
3 C arugula, rinsed with cold water
1 head red romaine lettuce, washed and cut up
1/2 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
3-5 baby turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
These young turnips are mild enough to use raw.
Use a food processor to blend the following:
1 clove garlic
4 T olive oil
juice of 1/2 a lemon
agave or honey to taste
handful of fresh oregano leaves
salt and pepper to taste
2 T feta cheese (optional)
Fettuccine with Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli Rabe
1 lb whole wheat fettuccine
2 lbs cleaned shrimp
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 bunch of broccoli rabe
1/2 C chopped fresh parsley
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the fettuccine until just firm. Remove the pasta and set it aside. Let the pasta water remain boiling on the stove.
- In a large skillet, saute the shrimp in a little bit of olive oil until just cooked. Season with salt and pepper and set aside on a plate. Do not overcook – it only takes a minute or two on each side – use tongs to flip.
- While the shrimp is cooking, blanch the broccoli rabe in the pasta water until tender-crisp.
- Add the garlic and about half the lemon juice to the skillet that the shrimp just came out of. Allow the garlic to cook for a minute or two, reducing the heat if necessary.
- Using a skimmer or slotted spoon, fish the broccoli rabe out of the boiling water and add it to the skillet.
- Dump the pasta and the shrimp into the skillet along with a spoonful of pasta water, the rest of the lemon juice, and the fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dump everything into a large pasta bowl and mix well before serving.
Herb Roasted Chicken
This one’s so easy, there’s no recipe required. Just stuff some fresh herbs (I used sage, parsley and oregano) into the cavity of a small chicken and rub the skin with salt, pepper and olive oil before roasting.