Growing up, I loved when my mom made cabbage “noodles”. She would fry a little bacon in a very hot skillet and cook thinly sliced ribbons of cabbage in the bacon fat. The only seasoning required was a bit of salt and pepper. Served as a side dish with crispy crumbled bacon on top, the noodles were a buttery, decadent comfort food.
The recipe that follows is my lightened up version of mom’s recipe. Fresh sliced onions from the CSA add dimension in the bacon’s stead.
makes 2-4 servings
- 1 mini cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1/2 Alisa Craig onion, sliced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- heat the olive oil in a large skillet (cast iron works great)
- saute the onions over medium heat until soft
- turn the heat to high, add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper
- cook over high heat, flipping the cabbage, until browned